Wednesday, August 3, 2011

writing about vista: part 1


(These installments were written during my second year as an Americorps VISTA volunteer & family involvement coordinator at an elementary school. Results may vary.)

 1/27/11
i. on telling a story

my good intent: like best-laid plans
it tends to go awry
it follows no predetermined path
it follows instinct
a water strider making ripples on the surface of portent
scared into the middle by what’s brewing on the shore
its shadow warning living things below of the menace’s arrival
my steps issuing concentric circular signals
a beacon forming, illuminating fire doors
but i didn’t do it on purpose. i followed my instinct.
my subconscious a thick web of societal trust
my heart singing the story they taught me was worth telling
i was given feet that float long ago and expect thus
my courage dependent on silk woven to hold

ii. on service

you are not special. you are not one of them.
they are not yours to fix to help to make better to change
you are not the one who has the answers they need
you are not the one who has the money or the influence it takes
someone told you to be the change, it changed you
but you will not save the world today.

iii. on greatness

our great people say americans are special because we dare to dream
but i think we’re just fortunate enough to see dreams realized all around us
and brave(crazed) enough despite it all to say, “why not me?”
i didn’t learn that from a book, or a leader, or from history
i learned it at the north end elementary science fair.
a child who doesn’t know where she’ll sleep tonight
tells me she’s going to save the world
and i believe her, so
i begin again to dream of a world worth saving
it’s my job to help make it before she puts her cape on


No comments:

Post a Comment