Thursday, December 16, 2010

time to shine

I arrived in Paris on Tuesday morning after a long and uneventful journey, including a six-hour layover in Toronto (snore. I have family in Toronto who I'd have loved to see, but I had no way of contacting them). The parting gift of a sleek little ipod nano has made traveling so much more musical, though, which is very enjoyable for me. (Shout out to the fam for helping your luddite niece-cousin back into the twenty-first century!) I waited for Siri in Gare du Nord, where we met Elisabeth, Siri's second cousin. We headed back to her apartment in Zone 3 (RER stop Croix de Berny) to freshen up, then back to the city to see Notre Dame.
Siri and the Notre Dame Christmas tree

Elizabeth met us after her English lesson and took us to Montparnasse for traditional crepes, with their "aperitif authentique," hard cider. Mmmm. 

Wednesday I slept off the jetlag a bit, and awoke to fresh pastries and coffee. Elisabeth is an amazing host, did I mention that yet? After breakfast we went to the Centre Pompidou and spent several hours in the galleries there. I especially liked a small room showing an exhibit by Gabriel Orozco, and a set entitled "Extreme Tension" by Louise Bourgeois. 
looking out from the Pompidou escalator with la Tour in the distance

After our day at the museum, we walked all the way to the Eiffel Tower -- it felt great to be outside, it was a beautiful night, and it was fun to see everything all lit up in the dark. Just as we turned the corner on la Tour, the bulbs began to flash and we got to see the sparkling tower up close!




So that's Paris, then. It's been pretty wonderful. We're heading out tonight for Geneva and South-eastern France, but I'd say la Ville-Lumière did right by us.

5 comments:

  1. BAH!!!! You're doing it, kid! This makes me so so happy. Actually squealed out loud when I read this post. Get it, get it. -Liesl

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous pics lady. wish i was there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you I think I've discovered what my 2011 New Year's resolution ought to be---don't die from envy. What I wouldn't give to be tagging along on this adventure! I'm glad that you and Siri are off to such a great start. Photo in front of the tower....could you two look any happier? Work on that please.
    Much Love!
    Catherine

    P.S. I hope the two of you manage to scrounge up one misadventure worthy of an overnight bus ride to Granada and a bag of buttered noodles...work on that as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your travels and travails. May the latter be few. We're thrilled to follow and see that you're having such a fine time. Let's share Paris stories some day. Blessings to you, and on to the next great city! Bon voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your face is brave new world-ing it to the max in that second photo...bringing it back to the old country, I see. Miss you. The apt is empty without you. I'm excited to hear about Geneva!

    ReplyDelete